I was a vegetarian/vegan for about eight years and fell off the wagon a couple of years ago for various reasons, but to this day, my diet is still largely plant-based. When I first started out as a vegetarian, I lived in Coachella, California. My options for animal-free meat alternatives was limited in this small desert town. Most grocery stores only carried tofu, so I learned to work with it very well. Tofu is versatile, and though it has a very mild taste, its texture and flavor can be manipulated in many ways. For a simple yet flavorful tofu lunch or dinner dish, one of my go-to is always a Thai-inspired curry recipe. Check out my vegan tofu curry soup recipe below and enjoy!
From Garden to Table
For this recipe, I harvested fresh herbs and vegetables from my urban garden. In any recipe, the fresher the ingredient the more nutrients it will contain. For this reason, I am a big advocate of homegrown and locally cultivated food.
For those who have very limited space, herbs are the perfect plants. They can be grown in pots or outdoors. When planted outdoors, they thrive and provide a year-round supply. Basil is my favorite herb to grow. It does well in the shade, and there are so many varieties with different flavors. For my Asian inspired recipes, Thai-basil works well.
Vegan Tofu Curry Soup Recipe
- 12 Oz extra firm organic tofu (House Foods Brand) Note: Wrap tofu block in a paper towel three times over and place a medium weight object on top (I used a glass casserole) for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, unwrap and cut into 1 x 0.5” rectangles.
- 5 cup white mushrooms – cut 4 ways lengthwise
- 3 cups string beans – snapped into 2” pieces.
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ large yellow onion, diced
- 4 cayenne peppers
- 2 banana peppers
- ¼ cup Thai basil (chopped)
- 5 cups of organic coconut milk (Thai Kitchen Brand)
- 1 tbsp organic curry powder (McCormick Gourmet Brand)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
Prep: 25 mins | Cook: 35 | Ready in 1 hr
- Add olive oil in a medium-sized low saucepan for 1 minute on medium heat.
- Fry tofu for about 2-3 minutes on both sides or until golden brown. Once done, remove tofu from the pan and place on a plate with a paper towel to drain the oil.
- With the same saucepan, sauté diced onions for 5 minutes
- Add string beans and mushroom and sauté for 5 minutes
- Add tomatoes and peppers and sauté for 5 minutes
- Pour in coconut milk, then add all the spices, salt, and basil. Simmer for 15 minutes. Place in a bowl and enjoy!
Chef’s notes: Curry is delicious served over rice. To prepare rice with no hassle, I like to cook it in a rice cooker. Here’s my recipe:
- 1 ½ cup basmati rice, rinsed with water and drained 5 times
- 2 ¼ cup of water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- Mixed all ingredient in a rice cooker and dial the switch to cook for 15 minutes.
- Open the lid and stir the rice so that oil is mixed in evenly. Cover and wait until done (~15 minutes).